More Student Stories (yay!)

By | 8:45 PM 3 comments
Well, I must say, it's been quite a week. Something in my seniors has kicked in temporarily, even with Spring Break and Prom around the corner! I can't believe it, they practically act like it's not coming. I think God must be taking pity on me.

Anyway, I'll start with the last day or two. We did a trial in my freshman classes. The trials were seriously amazing. I can't even tell you how awesome they were. My kids were so into it that they REALLY knew their information. Last semester my kids learned hardly anything about Greece. This semester, my kids can tell you about what life was like for men and women, political rights, law codes, economics, stories...I was seriously impressed. They had tons of reading, but they were so concerned about being good lawyers and witnesses that they REALLY knew their info. I was so impressed by them today. We definitely have some lawyers in the making and the witnesses, oh!, they explained away like a pro!!! My classroom was flipped around, with the class facing the opposite direction with a trial bench in the middle (Mr. Rubio got a grant to have a neighboring shop class build him one) and everyone in their spots. They had nametags, some dressed in traditional-wear (chitons--very toga-esque...but earlier), others dressed in suits, 1st and 3rd period judges were AMAZING. I was the "philosopher in residence," to the absolute delight (and probably ridicule) of my students. I was dressed in my own chiton, a laurel wreath to show that I was educated, and going barefoot like my mentor, Socrates. I was so ridiculous-looking that my seniors showed up to gawk since they heard I was dressed up (they claimed I looked awesome, but I saw those smirks...).

Anyway, I won't ramble more about the trial. But, I will tell my "teacher-thrilled-with-happiness" moment from today. The trial was over 3rd period, the jury deliberated. Then they voted. IT WAS A TIE!! Oh no!! Instant blabbering broke loose. First I heard, "This would never have happened in a true Ancient Greek trial! They always had an odd number of jurists so that this would never happen!" I thrilled...they learned!! Then, the suggestion was made that the class should vote to break the tie and a split second later two quips were heard. First, from Sparta (directed at Athens), "Yeah, great idea...Who gets to choose, the men or the rich men?" And instantly, from the offended Athenian, "Yeah...or...we could just let 5 of us choose for the whole group!" I was so happy that I didn't even break up the fighting. They were insulting each other in a historically accurate way!! Yay!!!

Anyway, that was awesome. Another interesting/horrible story from recently. Earlier this week I had a lesson for Gov on The Budget. I was quite proud of it because it's somewhat difficult to make the budget interesting. But, basically I gave them the task of balancing the budget and then tripped them up with real-life issues--you can't vote away social programs because you won't get reelected. Anyway, one thing they all learned was that something has to happen with social security. In horror, I heard these two plans:
  • Heng--ship the old people to Alaska. I know there was a rationale as to why Alaska is the solution for social security...but i can't remember. What I do remember, is this logic from the ever-so-practical Heng (seriously, this kid is going places...but the place might be scary): "Well, they sleep like...14 hours a day...we can just take them while they're sleeping and then, boom, they're in Alaska."
  • Chris--eat them. That's all I heard as I was walking around, "Eat them." Me: "Eat who?" Chris: "The old people. Sorry, the elderly." Me, trying not to laugh but horrified that this is the second time that day I've heard a terrible plan for the elderly: "Eat..the elderly. Why?" Chris: "Well, if we eat them we kill two birds with one stone. We don't have to worry about some of the social programs that feed the hungry masses and they won't take social security anymore." Me, thinking to myself: That's not the only thing we'd kill with one stone...sheesh.
On happier notes, a lesson that I thought was a complete disaster totally impressed my mentor. He came in to observe a lesson I was teaching on the bureaucracy. It was terrible. It was so complex and I had literally planned it all that morning, without getting to any background reading on the bureaucracy. I got mixed up in class, I had 30 kids staring at me like I was nuts and I don't know if they learned a darn thing. But when I gave the kids a task, he beckoned me into the hall and said, "I forgot what a great teacher you are!" I was really confused, because I didn't even know what I was saying in there, I thought he was going to help me out. But instead, I got one of the biggest complements I've ever gotten on my teaching. Rob's been observing teachers in our building all year and he (a MASTER teacher who I WANT TO BE!!) thinks I'm one of the best in the school. Let me tell you, I was more confused because I really didn't want to let him down when he came back into my classroom and saw that I had 40 minutes left and didn't know where I was going with it...

The end of that story is that apparently I taught that class something, but I'm pretty sure it's not what I wanted. But, I worked my way through that lesson after class and today it was logical, it was intriguing, it was complex...man...I get so jazzed when it comes out right. Today it was a good lesson. When I know what I'm doing, I'm an actor. I love it and I get so involved in it that it's like I'm on stage and my students are my audience and I'm trying to make them laugh and cry along with me. It's a beautiful thing, when I get it right.

Marissa came and wanted to know if she could talk to me for a little bit today. It turns out, she was trying to make a decision about whether to declare a major or not and she wanted to talk it through with me. She sat down and explained the situation. I gave the best advice I could and explained what I had seen and what made sense to me and I felt so special. It was such a simple thing, but it meant a lot to me that she wanted my opinion.

I wanted to tell you about Quincy but I think that will have to wait for another day.

Reflection: I know I work too much but I really hate hearing other people tell me that. I know that very well, especially after some things that happened this week. But, you know what...I love it. I am tired and I wish I could be confident and have good lessons by working less, but I can't. But I'll tell you this...there is a peace I have when I'm working hard and my students are engaged and learning. God knows what I'm like. God knows where my passion lies and God put me there for a reason. I don't know if God wants me to work so hard, but you know what, Colossians 3:23 says, "Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men." And I still am struggling with whether I'm doing it for the Lord, or for men, but I do know that God has put me in this position and I'm doing the best job that I can in the role he's put me in.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"Insulting each other in a historically accurate way"? And I thought us science people were nerdy... :OD

Seriously, great job in the teaching. Congrats on the complement, and the good lessons. It's obvious you're committed to being a great teacher... through the highs and the lows. Keep it up. :)

Unknown said...

oops, "compliment".... "complement", among other things, is a term for a particular type of immunologically-active protein that I've learned about lately.

Who, me? A science nerd?

Unknown said...

I would only say that you work too much on the days when it seems to impact your health in a detrimental way. I mean, love for work or not, there are still limiting factors -- our biological need for sleep and food being one of them. Other than that, I totally admire your passion! Your kids are incredibly lucky to have someone who cares not only that they learn, but that they have fun doing it.

There's a possibility that you're working for men? (RE: your Colossians comment)

Can't wait to see you tonight!