"Fresh" Beginnings

By | 6:53 PM 1 comment
Last week I had to say goodbye to my Freshmen and today I got more! But first, a tribute to my former classes.


3rd period-- they kept me going every day with their enthusiasm and encouragement. I am really going to miss those guys!!! They were devastated the last day. :-)


1st period--very smart class. Gave me a hard time and I honestly was not sad to see them go. But...quite a few came to see me after class was out to tell me that they loved my class and that I was a great teacher. I think...well, I think if I hadn't had them 1st period the class might have been drastically different. However, I still really love all those kids, even if the class dynamics made it tough.


2nd period -- jolly and joyful. They worked hard and did anything I asked. Seriously awesome kids, such hard workers. They are loving and I will miss them!


So now...a new semester.

Some things:
  • I was scared to death and very stressed out last night. It's quite nerve-wracking to start a new semester. Will they like me? Will I remember everything so I get off to a good start? Will I have good students? Will the classes work together well? WILL IT BE OK!?!?!
  • This morning I was more optimistic. I got excited about my new classes and I tried to convey that.
  • A few 3rd period kids came to check on me, to make sure my new "freshies" were treating me well. That made me happy and also gave a good tone to my new 3rd period class. They saw their friends from last semester trying to convince me to let them stay and so my new students were much more open and friendly immediately.
My new students:
  • they seem nice! So far they participate well (except 4th).
  • One of my students is absolutely entranced by brain theory (which I mentioned in class at one point). SHe latched on and I had a great conversation with her after class.
  • I believe another one of my students is from Britain. Reasons why I believe this are as follows. 1) When I asked him a question and he answered, his accent threw me off. It's pretty thick, actually, but definitely British. I tried my best to decipher and I think I did ok. 2) After class he asked me if he needed to know American History for the class. I said no. 3) He then said, "Good, because I'm not American."
  • I wanted to ask him what he was, but thought that was probably not the right way to put it. But, now that I think about it...I think he wanted me to ask. So, I've thought about it and instead of asking, "So, where are you from?" I'm going to ask him about what his history background is and use that as an intro to where his schooling is from, etc. Besides, I like to hear him talk!
  • So far only 2 students seem somewhat uncooperative. They appear to be testing me. I will not let them upset my classes this semester like my 1st period last semester. I let one kid's discipline problems affect the class because I didn't nip it early enough. Not this semester! No-sireee!
I still hope this semester goes ok. I'm sure it will...I just wish we could all be pals right off the bat.

Anyway, that's my update.

Reflection: Worrying only makes you tired less prepared the next day. British accents are cool. Love your students; they remember that more than who had the first written law code.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I just had my first lab tonight with one of the sections I'm teaching... it is hard to get that right balance of "Let's make this fun" and "Don't mess with me, don't screw around, and pay attention." You'll do great, as always. :)