A few more stories

By | 4:53 PM 1 comment
I had more stories but now I can't remember what they were. Too bad. Today we had debates. The resolved was, "Russia has become an illiberal democracy due to Vladimir Putin's centralization of power." They were great. The debators and the audience were totally into the debate. And, OH! I remember my other story...heh heh...

So anyway, the debators are required to dress professionally to fit the part. One team came dressed like this:




Haha! It was so great! This isn't the best picture but when I tried again, Sherwin kept laughing. He makes a pretty good Asian Russian, don't you think?

That leads me to my next story. The kids coined a new term yesterday. I was minding my own business, filing away my old lesson plans, when I heard Alex say, "Man! I totally got asianed today!" I paused, turned around and asked, "You got what?" They laughed,"Asianed! It means I got beat by an Asian on my math test!" (I would like to point out that Alex is also Asian...) Then, Heng turned into a walking dictionary and informed me, "Asianed--referring to the state of being beat academically by a person of asian ancestry and/or acquiring the traits of academic obsession." I'm guessing it can then also be used, "I'm totally asianed!" meaning, "I realize that I have got to be perfect on my schoolwork to be competitive."

Anyway, I thought that was awful...but funny. I also discovered today that the regular government classes are maybe only 5% asian but my AP classes are at leas 2/3 asian...and I would actually say maybe even 70%.

Interesting...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think the asian thing is hilarious, but yeah, kinda horrible. horribly predictable? i dunno. the first thing i thought of was the reference of getting "gyped" or "jewed".

--camille