Independence Day

By | 1:41 AM 1 comment
I love Independence Day. I love the 4th of July. There are many reasons for it. Today is an example of why the 4th of July is so great. I woke up late (since on the 4th most people don't have to work), make breakfast, relaxed and then cleaned my kitchen. Then, around 2 I headed to pick up my siblings and our 2 SCSCers to head over to Lake Meridian in Kent. A group from our church was going to spend the day there and be there for the fireworks tonight. When we got there, our group had set up an awning thing so that we could all sit in the shade (it was VERY hot today).

The day consisted of:
  • chatting with friends
  • relaxing in the sun
  • relaxing in the shade under the tarp
  • reading a funny book for a while
  • reading a magazine for a while
  • playing guitar for a while
  • listening to 2 very good bands
  • jet skiing (well, I didn't go...but I took lots of great pictures...which reminds me...I wish I had those...)
  • taking pictures of cute kids playing in the water
  • napping in the sun
  • napping in the shade
It's great because the 4th is a day of relaxation. Unlike many holidays, there isn't much preparation or stress. You grab some hot dogs and condiments, grab a blanket, a bunch of water, and head somewhere sunny to spend the day relaxing and then the evening is a whole different matter.

I love the 4th also because of...well, here. As the sun set it was beautiful. I looked around me and I was so happy. The orchestra played the Star Spangled Banner and the whole park stood up (there were a LOT of people...it was festival-ish)...many were singing, many had their hands over their hears...but I didn't see one person sitting. I was so happy. There are many things about our country that I am not proud of but you know, I still love my country! And on the 4th it's like...I dunno, everyone is patriotic. We all are united in loving America. There were all kinds of people standing in that park with their hands over their hearts listening to the national anthem with me and it made me joyful. I thanked God for the country I live in.

Then, the orchestra played Sousa marches and the 1812 Overature and the fireworks started going off over the lake. I got so into the music, my head bopping to the beat and tunes. I sat there, knees pulled up and towel wrapped tight around me just living through that music and those flashes in the sky...so pretty.

Margie had to leave Bobby and I as she shuttled my mom to her car. We got out our guitars and played the "Stranded on the side of the road blues." We played frisbee while waiting and looked at the stars. I had flashbacks to college, when we would take study breaks by playing frisbee and would spend hours taking walks at night and looking at the stars. I missed those times but I was happy that I got to do them again and wished that I would do it more.

Reflection: I love the USA. I miss college experiences that I treasured so much. I'm tired and happy that I'm on break.

1 comments:

ryan said...

i miss the stars. there is so much city here and too much light.
im very glad you are relaxing. grace and peace to you.