Update

By | 11:11 PM 4 comments
It's been a while and I know I haven't felt like writing. I think it's because I've found more peace about my classroom and my life. I don't feel the need to escape the overwhelming amount of work I have because, although it's a lot...I'm a more experienced teacher and I know I'll be able to handle it. I still work a lot more than I should, but I don't do much work on weekends anymore and when I get home I usually don't do anything, even if I bring work with me. Granted...I get home late, but there was a time when I would get home late AND stay up until 2. Now I just get up at 4....

I'm writing because I'm actually alert and I just finished grading Vocab Tests and found myself smiling. I realized I haven't updated you all in cyberspace about my kids. Last time I wrote I had had the kids reflect on what was going on in their lives that were giving them senioritis and I don't care what my colleagues say, it worked!!! It totally worked!! There has been very little senioritis in my class! My kids have been working hard, they've been staying focused, they're still positive!! Not only do I have an incredible group of kids this year, but I really truly believe those reflections they wrote me and the discussions we had really brought our classes together.

I want to tell you about a few kids that I find very special.

Jeff and Henry are quickly becoming some of my favorites. One day after doing test corrections in my room, Henry and Jeff came up to me and informed me, "Ms. Burdick, we're going to come to your room every day after school." It was strange. They both had barely talked in class before and Jeff had been kinda harsh in his reflection. But sure enough, they come EVERY DAY! It's hilarious. They come in, say hi, walk straight to the window and look out. If there are kids in my room they just hang around and say bye when they leave. When there aren't, they look out the window and comment on what they see and then randomnly interrupt my work to ask me questions about the pictures I have on my wall, stories about college, what I think about pop music, if I like movies, etc. It was like one day they realized, I want to get to know Burdick better, and now they do. And honestly, even though it's not like we have big, long, deep discussions...I really care about them. We have a special bond now.

Jeff wrote me a commentary on his vocab test. I'd like to share it with you because I think it's funny. (background: they have to get 54/60 to pass.)

After missing 11 questions...
34. You're killing me!
35. Developed countries
36. Hopefully I have only missed 2 so far...(?)
37. sovereignty -WRONG-
38. Judicial Review
39. Nationalism
40. fusion of powers
41. unicameral
42. theocracy
43. sigh...
44. I know this one...
45. Liberal Democracy! -WRONG-
**skip to bottom of page**
60. Well, see you next week Burd.

:-)

Overall, there are only 10 kids or so that I don't feel I have a strong connection with and I love being in my classroom. You can feel the camaraderie. There are smiles, jokes, and hearty laughter. I think that's a good learning environment.

Oh!!! And my program is officially established! After coming in cold turkey I once again managed to keep my 4 sections despite the fact that an easier, year-long AP class is offered as an alternative. Oddly enough, Tim's rival AP Gov class lost one section for next year but my class kept all 4 (despite my hard tests and heavy work load!).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice work! Way to be awesome. Here's to success! [clink of glasses...]

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

That's the clink of drinking glasses... not eyeglasses... ;)

ryan said...

go superteacher!!!! you deserve a reward of some kind. like a new sappy romance/magical/JaneAustin novel.

am i going to get to see you when i visit the states?