Integrity

By | 4:22 PM 8 comments
I am very bothered. I really need to get stuff done and I want to go enjoy the beautiful weather but I just really have to cry out into the cosmos! I just came from a staff meeting. This year, as a school we have attempted to craft a new mission statement to combat what many have seen as an erosion of our school community. The process has created a lot of dialogue and has actually been led by an incredible group of students. I respect them so much and wish I had them in my classes. Last meeting the staff chose 4 words we saw as being what Newport should define newport high school and the student were to take those four words and make them jazz with our 4. For the most part, it was actually really great. But there was one word that didn't jazz. The most important word we as a Newport Staff had highlighted was "Integrity." The students, though very accomodating and very useful (they took their "purpose" and our "curiosity" to make "discovery" which I think is better than both), didn't want to have Integrity because they thought it was a "hot" word.

I was horrified and I feel like I want to cry, which could be because I'm emotional today anyway (I just want that d*** test to be over!!!), but there just isn't another word to mean Integrity. And it hurts me to the core that the word "Integrity" is "hot" now. The kids associate it with cheating. It is meaningless to them if not seen as something evil. That makes me so sad. We talked about it in my small group, and actually, the ASB President joined us and I think what we said really struck home with him. He agrees that it's sad that Integrity has such a negative association for students but helped me understand why. But still, it cuts me to the core that "Integrity" has gone by the wayside. I work very hard to teach integrity in my classroom and although it's not perfect, I think it can be seen. Integrity when it comes to honesty between students and teacher, but even beyond that in consistency, in holding yourself to high expectations, and strength of character, that who we are is seen in the actions we take... It bothers me to no end that it leaves such a bad taste in so many mouths.

But what the ASB Pres said was true, I may teach integrity by example and by the expectations I hold my students to, and the reasons I give for things we do, but I probably don't associate the word with it...so why should students associate those things with integrity?

I think that is all the more reason to make Newport a place of Integrity. That it is sad that Integrity has fallen to such a level. I say, all the more reason to make it a priority in our school.

Because honestly...if integrity dies completely...it will be a sad world.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I would "I like" this post if it were posted on Facebook. Anyway, I think it's only in the past year that I've really begun to understand the significance of integrity and being your word (instead of excuses). It's made such a difference that I can't imagine a complete world without integrity.

And just randomly, how in the heck is INTEGRITY a bad word??!?!? It's one of the most valuable words in the English language!!

Ginny said...

I know! Seriously! It's got too many negative connotations for the students. Apparently they associate it with "academic integrity" and therefore connect it with the negative focus on cheating.

Unknown said...

Weird. I really don't understand some people.

(I was actually going to say "Wow, kids today, huh?" but decided that made me sound/feel too old...)

:) -T

ryan said...

to me... "integrity" is too cliche and i must agree with the students that it's not a word that instantly evokes positive thoughts. perhaps it's because i've met and known so many people who initially appeared to have great integrity and they let me down.

and perhaps, it's also my experience here in this culture... where contracts seem to mean nothing, promises are easily broken, and the ends often justify the means.

also, integrity tends to be a personal quality rather than a community one. integrity says to me... self-discipline, honesty, trustworthiness... not to impress others but to satisfy an inner desire to do what's right because it's right.

perhaps a good word for your kids would be..."solidarity."

i wish i was as cool and smart as your students when i was that age... heck, i wish i was that cool and smart now.

peace out, friend.

Unknown said...

So I take it "Asian" or "Entitled" were already ruled out for your students? ;)

I totally share your angst over it... As Camille mentioned a large part of Landmarks training revolved around the concept of integrity and it sounds like the only reason people don't like it now is because no one seems to have it and that makes them feel bad =P

All the same I would say it is still important to pick something that feels relevant to the students... While I may be big on integrity now, it likely has a different meaning to me today than it did when I was 17... So even if you have to translate the things you value into something that resonates I think you can still come out ahead.

Cheers!

Unknown said...

Re: Ryan's comment, I really see integrity as a community aspect. To me integrity doesn't just mean holding yourself accountable for your own choices, actions, and beliefs, but also holding the people around you accountable for their impact on you.

I think of spokes on a wheel. Even if you're the missing spoke and you're the one who "failed" others, the wheel as a whole is much weaker. It lacks physical integrity. The fewer the spokes the weaker the wheel.

And even failure doesn't mean lacking integrity. I don't really believe in failure. All integrity means to me is taking ownership of your impact on others. We can't be perfect but we can always restore our integrity. Because the only reason integrity even matters is because of the people you touch every day. What's the use of being perfectly accountable just so you can giver yourself a cheesy pat on the back?

*whew!* You can see why the word "integrity" is also important to me.

But, ultimately I agree with the moderate view of this comment crowd, Sam. You are better off finding a word similar to integrity that truly resonates with your students. Because this is about *them* at the end of the day.

Ginny said...

Re: Ryan. If integrity is too cliche, then perhaps we should restore dignity and respect to the word. Just the thought of "integrity" losing meaning makes me depressed about the world.

I like your description of integrity, "self-discipline, honesty, trustworthiness to satisfy an inner desire to do what's right." That's what I was trying to explain to Richard, but like Camille said, I think that it's an individual quality that builds up and makes a solid, respectable community. Solidarity just isn't the same thing. Solidarity has none of the "hold yourself to a standard and stay true to your word" aspect to it.

I agree with the three of you that whatever we choose, it needs to be something we, as a community, can uphold and if the kids can't accept it then it will mean nothing to them and that's a bad start.

I'm up against two problems though. 1) I can't think of another word that means quite the same thing. The only thing I can think of that comes close is a phrase, "strength of character" and even that's not quite right. 2) it still really bothers me that so many people have written off integrity. I know that I'm a "dweller," but I honestly have been thinking about it since it happened. When I was on the line at the beginning of this year I was so disillusioned with my district because I didn't see them acting with integrity and now I am seeing so many of my colleagues (granted, not all of them) and the students I respect turning their noses up at, granted, a word...but a word that really means a lot to me. It has rekindled the fire in me to really demonstrate integrity to my students.

Unknown said...

Just because your students haven't fully appreciated the value of the word "integrity" doesn't mean the word has universally lost its impact on society. You have to have faith that something so vital to living a full life will eventually come on their radar, at least something close to it. It just takes time for some people to fully incorporate a word like "integrity" into their vocabulary, positively-speaking. I didn't even fully embrace the word until recently and even then I wouldn't say that I comprehend the full scope of having integrity; I only understand integrity on a community level. It's something that we work on everyday; we can't always assume we have it. But the process of critical evaluation and discovery is just as important, if not more. For example, I respect Ryan's position on "integrity" because you see that it's made some kind of difference on him by the kind of experiences he's had with "integrity" in the past.

That you emulate something like "integrity" in your classroom is already quite significant, in my opinion. I support you no matter what you decide to do.