Yikes!

By | 10:36 PM Leave a Comment

I was so sure I wrote about the last few days, but apparently I was mistaken.

Let me then, enlighten you.

Friday I went to school for a meeting and was actually quite delighted. I was much less stressed out about my classes and was so happy to be with my colleagues again. I couldn't believe how happy I was. It was somewhat silly. Nate, Keith, Karen and Jessica were there with me and two new guys in our department, Tim and Byron. Nate and Keith are so funny and Karen so fun that I quite forgot I was in a meeting. We were laughing and joking and then when we were supposed to work we were seriously reflecting on the lessons that I was reminded why I like my job so much. My colleagues are wonderful. They are funny and serious. We love our students and take our jobs seriously. There is no complaining about students in our staffroom. When I was student teaching a lot of the talk over lunch and in the staffroom was complaining about students and wanting to talk about anything else except the classroom. My department is so opposite. We discuss our students, help each other problem-solve on their behalf, and deeply discuss the subjects we are teaching and the methods we use.

Anyway, I was so happy after that and much less scared of school. I found my classroom in a mess and had to put it all back together again, but then I worked for a good amount of time and wasn't upset about having to be back at school. So far it's still there. I'm still very nervous about all the "unknowns" about the school year, but my former students have been sending me notes and the reminder that returning to school also means getting to spend time with my colleagues again have brought me to the point where I can go to school tomorrow without too much regret, and mostly excitement.

I can't imagine working at a school where I didn't enjoy my colleagues.

I got to spend time with Camille last night and that was wonderful, and I had a relatively relaxing day today.

Tomorrow I attempt to get up earlier than usual and begin my serious preparation!

Yikes!

Oh yeah...and today I ticked off Jane Austen novel #4 for the past week. I'm not sure what brought me to read all of them, but I just keep going. I've read Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park (I forgot how much I liked that one) and Northanger Abbey (SO FUNNY! Entirely a satire.). I refuse to read Emma again, am not so sure about whether I should attempt Lady Susan again (I tried once), and am finding the last Austen novel to not live up to its title, as I feel no kind of Persuasion whatsoever to pick it up.

0 comments: